Autumn 2008


Commodore's writes

AGM, prize giving,party

Annual dinner

Bewl Valley SC visit

Bosun regatta

Break in

Chichester Harbour

Cundy trophy

Development strategy

Fifty years on


General stuff

Hungarian gypsy music

In town without my car

Midsummer cruise

News of members

Newsletter printing

Penalty turns

Quiz night

Sailing after end season

Signet open meeting

Social calendar

Some needed input

Work party


Midsummer Madness Cruise

The years 'Midsummer Madness' cruise was held on the evening of Wednesday 16 July. Nigel's plan was to leave the club at 18:30i'sh and sail up to The Magpie for supper and a couple of beers. The 2007 version of this event was wet with a strong stream running but this year proved to be a little more sailor friendly.

At 18:00 the wind was fair but half an hour later it was dropping, despite the forecasts. Keith Poncia and his wife Gayle in a Skipper 14, John Neil in a Bosun, and Nigel, Tony Hopkins and myself in Lasers set off and managed to get just over half way before the wind died altogether. Richard then took the Bosun and Lasers in tow behind the safety boat and, accompanied by Don's cruiser, we arrived at the Magpie by 19:30. Keith's Skipper had an outboard so he was able to get there under his own steam.


On arrival we put in to the pubs moorings and found a number of members already there who had come by road. Mike and Jean Hendra had chosen to accompany Richard in the safety boat and Liz Archer and Anne Neale had travelled up on Don's cruiser.

Although we ordered food straight away, before long it became apparent that the pub chef was only just coping. He rapidly started running out of things and finally suspended any further orders. It later turned out he was on his own in the kitchen so it probably wasn't surprising that he was struggling. However, most of us got our orders eventually and a liberal supply of falling down water helped the evening along nicely.

I suppose there must have been about fifteen to twenty members at The Magpie. Not bad for a Wednesday evening. About 20:30 the sailing contingent donned the buoyancy aids and cast off for the return trip to Aquarius. We drifted down on the flow and got back by 21:15. A really good evening and sure to be repeated sometime although the next trip might be to The Phoenix which we understand has had a 'make-over' and we are told is now very good. It also has arguably better moorings. However that's one for the future. Back at the club the regular Wednesday night crowd were in, Nigel cranked up the espresso machine, and we rounded off a really good evening.

Mike (Over Easy) Baker