Following a surveyor's visit to the clubhouse on 23 March Bodgitt placed an order
for the new clubhouse windows a couple of days later. The quoted delivery time was
quite sporty and installation work was expected to be able to commence, weather permitting,
in early April.
Meanwhile the race control box was finished. The refurb included new front and side
windows, new door, new heavy-weight castors for ease of movement and simplified electrics.
The new clubhouse windows were in fact delivered on 5 April. Bodgit & Son were at
the club on the 4th doing a variety of tasks aimed at clearing the decks so that
the window replacement work could actually start on the 7th.
On Monday Bodgit & Son, aided by Bryan, stripped out the ceiling and internal lounge
riverside wall to expose structure & inserted acro's to support the roof.
Windows being replaced
On Tuesday we removed the old windows, frames and support structure and using 4"x2"'s
started to rebuild the new structure required to support the roof and new windows.
On Wednesday there was ongoing structural work inside and outside and we started
reinstalling the new UPVC window frames.
On Thursday the window frame installation was completed together with the major structural
work. Some external cladding, as required, was replaced including shiplap and panelling
above the windows required to mount the new guttering. Also inserted cable runs for
three new double power points on the riverside wall.
Friday we completed the external cladding and then started replacing the internal
cladding above and below windows, including rockwool insulation; installed new window
glass. Removed acro's and made ceiling safe; cleared up club for weekend activities.
On Monday we fitted internal window architrave and window sill; continued with fitment
of internal cladding and skirting boards. Creosoted external boards above windows
ready for guttering installation and trimmed back excess roofing felt.
On Tuesday we had a day off but bought a number of items needed to complete the job.
On Wednesday we finished internal cladding and skirting boards and primed ready
for top coating. Finished internal window architrave and completed external window
architrave. Constructed and rigged the steel cable cross bracing to be fixed across
three of the roof trusses; started installing new suspended ceiling above windows.
On Thursday we top coated internal cladding and continued with installation of new
suspended ceiling above the new windows.
At this point Bodgit and Son stopped until the end of the month. Shall we just say
that two weeks continuous work down at the club tends to leave 'senior management'
feeling a little neglected? What Bodgit & Son learned was what we already knew. It's
much easier to build from scratch rather than try to incorporate something into an
old (sagging) structure. Unfortunately there was no option, the existing windows
were on the point of falling out and were a serious Health & Safety issue. Just some
curtains or blinds to put up to finish the job completely.
The work party on the 26th got most of the waterfront painting completed. Today the
guttering was installed and the scaffolding towers, which have adorned the club for
three weeks or so, were finally dismantled and put back into storage. Before quitting
time the cross bracing across the roof trusses was installed and tightened up.
In June Bodgit senior installed a new curtain rail and the old curtains were put
back up. Job done.